Intro & Greek Vases

Hi all, my name is Chloe DeHerrera, I am an art major and a minor in business so I can pursue my dreams of becoming a professional photographer. I am 18 and I have been taking pictures for the last 2 years. My hobbies other than photography are, painting, creating my journal, and going off-roading! 


Greek Vases:

    The work of art I have chosen the Ancient Greek Vase making. I have always loved pottery but I have never gotten the chance to explore that form of art. This form of art started 900-146 B.C.E. It is a very interesting process. It is made of terra cotta or better know as baked clay. You start by taking all the pebbles and rocks out of the raw clay and then throw it into a pool of water. Next, is draining it and put into another pool. Then, letting the extra water evaporate, which leaves behind the settled clay. This process is done several times before the clay becomes the right consistency. After that process is done the clay is kneaded to be sure there are no layers that would’ve settled within the clay. Every type of pottery is beautiful, it is a very unique form of art. The structure and the paintings are brought to life after done in the kiln. All of the little details and the thought that go into the artwork only make it more outstanding. The paints that change color after firing, the glossiness that appears. It’s all such an interesting topic. 

Ancient Greek Pottery

The J. Paul Getty Museum, "Making Greek vases," in Smarthistory, December 20, 2015, accessed August 30, 2020, https://smarthistory.org/making-greek-vases/.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Indrajit & Utagawa

The Pueblo Revolt and The Virgin of Macana

The Great Enclosure Zimbabwe